ITALY, Rome. The market data for San Daniele ham referring to 2020 record performances in line with the expectations of the food sector, despite a decline in exports, the product has been confirmed as one of the main drivers of the Italian food sector.
The total production of Prosciutto di San Daniele Dop in 2020 was 2,546,000 thighs sent for processing, coming from the 54 slaughterhouses that process the raw material supplied by the 3,641 authorized Italian farms. With respect to total production, 18% was destined for the foreign market, while the remaining 82% for domestic consumption. The total turnover reached 310 million euros.
While recording a decline of a few percentage points in sales abroad, caused by the pandemic in progress which reduced exports, the export data reveal interesting results, testifying to the worldwide recognition of San Daniele Dop, attesting to sales at a total of approximately 4 mill. kg of product aimed at the extra-Italian market. 57% of the total allowances went to the European Union. The most important export shares confirm, in order: France with 26.1% of the market, the United States with 16.5%, Germany with 15.3% and, last country in double figures, Australia with 12.3%. Followed by Belgium (6.1%), Switzerland (5.7%), Austria (2.2%) and to a lesser extent Brazil, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
Signs of appreciation also come from the growth of Eastern European markets. In fact, compared to last year, there was a positive increase in Romania (+ 194%), Poland (+ 82%), Slovenia (+ 49%), Ukraine (+ 46%) and the Czech Republic (+ 15%). The total production of pre-sliced trays records a constantly growing trend with over 21.3 mill. certified trays, equal to 398,968 hams for a total of over 1.85 mill. kg. Of these, 22% went abroad.