Two persons in Vietnam killed by Streptococcu...

Two persons in Vietnam killed by Streptococcus suis

Two butchers in central Vietnam died from a bacterium that causes clinical diseases in pigs.

The two victims were hospitalised in early February with high fevers, abdominal pain and vomiting and died soon afterwards. After sending their blood samples to the Animal Health Sub-institute in Da Nang, doctors found out that the two persons had been infected with Streptococcus suis.

The provincial Department of Preventive Medicine has confirmed that S. suis had attacked herds of local pigs, causing the disease to break out.

Dam Xuan Thanh, Deputy Head of the Animal Health Department under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, said there are no effective vaccines against S. suis. The department subsequently carried out epidemiological surveillance against 62 people who slaughtered and ate the sick pigs.

Last year, three local people were infected with S. suis in Quang Nam and two of them died. Quang Nam province is also currently reported with blue-ear pig disease, which infected some 25,000 pigs in the region.
Source: The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam
Vietnam S. Sui