Salmonella control is aim of research partner...

Salmonella control is aim of research partnership

Zoetis and The Roslin Institute have collaborated for salmonella research to see how the pathogen enters cattle and can lead to contamination of beef for human consumption.

The institute, at the University of Edinburgh, UK, received funding from the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) to support the research. For three years, the BBSRC will contribute 80% of funding for the study - close to $1 mill. - and Zoetis will provide the remaining 20% of funding and services via research materials and expertise.

It will centre on how salmonella enters and persists within the bovine lymphatic system as this lack of knowledge constrains the ability to design strategies to control infection. The Roslin Institute research team will work with Zoetis to help develop and implement solutions to reduce the prevalence of salmonella in meat.

Zoetis has been an industry partner on research programs with the BBSRC since 2008 to help advance understanding of animal diseases and develop solutions for those who raise food animals. The team of researchers from The Roslin Institute includes Professor Mark Stevens, Professor John Hopkins and Dr. Jayne Hope.
Source: Zoetis