The Joint Industry Safety and Health Council recognised chicken and turkey companies that exemplified outstanding safety performance through the implementation of innovative and effective safety and health programs.
The first annual safety awards were presented during the 2010 National Safety Conference for the Poultry Industry. Award consideration was based on injury statistics over three years and an evaluation of written applications by three judges.
Award of Distinction
- Butterball LLC (Alix, Ark., feed mill; Huntsville, Ark.; Mt. Olive, N.C.; Ozark, Ark.)
- Cargill Turkey Production LLC (Temple, Texas, feed mill)
- Equity Group Kentucky Division LLC (Albany, Ky.)
- Simmons Foods Inc. (Van Buren, Ark.)
- Wayne Farms LLC (Pendergrass, Ga.)
Awards were presented to 48 facilities with eight in the highest category “Award of Distinction”. The other categories included “Award of Honor” and “Award of Merit”.
The Joint Industry Safety and Health Council is made up of members from U.S. Poultry & Egg Association, National Chicken Council and National Turkey Federation. Collectively, the three organisations represent companies that produce 95 percent of the nation's poultry products and employ hundreds of thousands of workers.
Source: U.S. Poultry & Egg Association