Con Agra Foods, Inc., one of North America's leading food makers, announced five sustainability goals to be achieved by 2015.
The goals build on the company's sustainability accomplishments, which began in a company-wide fashion in 1992 with the Con Agra Foods Sustainable Development Awards programme. This is the first time the company has set company-wide sustainability goals.
Con Agra Foods' Sustainability Goals for 2015 include:
1. Greenhouse gas emissions: Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent per pound of product produced as compared to 2008 emissions.
2. Water: Reduce wateruse by 15 percent per pound of product produced as compared to 2008 water use.
3. Solid waste: Divert solid waste from landfills by at least 75 percent as compared to 2011 levels.
4. Packaging: As compared to 2008, the company will: (a) reduce packaging by 10 percent per pound of product produced, (b) increase the amount of packaging made of renewable resources from 45 percent to more than 50 percent, and (c) increase the use of recycled content in packaging overall by 25 percent.
5. Supply chain engagement: Encourage continuous improvement of the supply chain in the areas of energy, water, materials and waste. Work with growers to further enhance sustainable farming practices that optimize yield while improving land stewardship.
Since 2007, Con Agra Foods has measured distinct sustainability projects that have reduced carbon emissions by more than 25,000 metric tonnes, eliminated 4,000 tons of landfill waste and 7,000 tons of packaging materials, and conserved 348 million gallons of water, it says in a company`s statement.
In regard to the company's new sustainability goals, results will be made publicly available in August of each year through the ConAgra Foods Corporate Responsibility Report published at http://www.conagrafoods.com/corporateresponsibility
Source: ConAgra Foods, Inc.