Cattle IFA prepares for beef crisis
Healy further explained that compared to this time last year, cattle prices are down by 20/25 cents per kg or €100/head. Cattle finishers with young bulls are facing price cuts of 40c/kg+ and finding it almost impossible to sell their stock.
The IFA President said urgent action is required now by the Minister for Agriculture Michael Creed and the government to ensure the following:
- A comprehensive package of market supports and direct aid for farmers from the EU Commission
- EU state aid limitations on members states must be set-aside
- Strong support for the live export trade to double numbers in 2019 and ensure that no further restrictions are imposed on the trade
- Increased funding for suckler cows
- Continue to resist a damaging Mercosur trade deal
- Insist on an increase in the CAP budget, and
- Challenge the meat factories to immediately increase prices and prioritise the young bull kill.