Poultry Foster Farms goes ‘free-from’
Additionally, the company is launching Foster Farms Certified Organic and Foster Farms Simply Raised lines of antibiotic-free chicken at major retailers throughout the West. The company said the evolved business strategy makes the family-owned business the largest producer of USDA certified organic and antibiotic-free chicken in the western United States.
Key components of the company's antibiotic stewardship policy include:
• Foster Farms has eliminated the use of antibiotics critical to human medicine companywide and is working toward a goal of eliminating the use of all antibiotics that are used in human medicine, except in those instances where the clinical health of a flock is at risk.
• Foster Farms does not use antibiotics at any of its hatcheries.
• Antibiotics are not used for growth promotion or improved feed efficiency.
• When disease treatment is necessary, medical care will be overseen by a licensed veterinarian.
• Foster Farms’ antibiotic practices will be independently audited to ensure compliance with the stated objectives of the antibiotic stewardship policy.